Wednesday, November 2, 2022

The Bells of St. Catherine’s

  

The bells of St. Catherine’s are pealing at dawn

Voicing their sorrow for souls who have gone


Sounding their sadness at gray break of day

Grieving the shades, I hear them that way.

 

The bells of St. Catherine’s are singing for joy

Chiming with pleasure, such chords they employ

What could have happened this splendor to cause?

Ceasing my reading, I ponder with pause.

 

The bells of St. Catherine’s an anthem they sound

Hope for the world, the bells have now found

Who could be pulling the ropes so intent?

Sipping my coffee my doubts I relent.

 

The bells of St Catherine’s a clatter they make

One cannot but shudder, not music but ache

Signaling trouble, signaling pain

A dreadful foreboding of nothing to gain.

 

The Bells of St. Catherine’s fell silent this year

Thinking it over the message seems clear

Defilement of nature, men do as they may

But the God of Spinoza will have the last say.

 

 

© 2022 Fowler W Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment