Monday, March 15, 2021

I Suppose I Should be Flattered, But I'm Not Sure

 If you've visited my Welcome Page you know that visitors to this blog are modest in number.  So modest that when one friend recently discovered that I had a blog and asked what it was about, I told him it was basically a conversation with myself, (I'm a good listener.)

So imagine my shock when I found out that on one recent day, 671 pages had been accessed followed by 528 on the following day.

What in the world was going on?

For about three seconds, I thought:  "Amazing: I have written something of interest!"

But immediately thereafter, I thought: "No. Something odd has happened."  

The answer, it turned out, was that a service called "Plagscan" was prowling through my blog. The reason?  Some entity, most probably an academic institution, was apparently using this application to see whether some piece of writing had been plagiarized.

By clicking on the word "Plagscan" in the paragraph above you can learn more about the service from Wikipedia.

Should I be flattered that my writing could be worth plagiarizing?  Or should I be annoyed at this unwanted intrusion into my little corner of cyberspace?  What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment