Sunday, October 11, 2015

"Slush Piles" and Self-Publishing

The Oct. 11, 2015, “Bookends” feature of the Sunday New York Times poses the question: “How does the reputation of an author shape your response to a book?

The word “your” in that question refers to readers, but I think the same question can be asked of publishers and the response of one of the two commentators provides an answer as to why some authors, me included, decide to self-publish.

In her response to the question posed, Zoe Heller, a regular “Bookends” participant, related the following:

In my 20s, I worked for a brief period as an editorial assistant at a publishing house in London, where my duties included overseeing “the slush pile” of unsolicited manuscripts. The task included glancing over each submission and either returning it to the author with a snotty form letter regretting that the work was “not right for us,” or (if I detected a glimmer of something remotely publishable) sending it upstairs for further consideration by one of the in-house readers. The important thing was to send back the manuscripts at a steady rate and keep the slush pile low. But I didn’t. I couldn’t. Under my supervision, the slush pile grew and grew until it became several tottering ziggurats of slush. I’d like to say that it was the thought of dashing literary hopes that paralyzed me. But I was quite heartless about that. What stopped me in my tracks was the dread of having to make independent literary judgments. I had never before been asked to evaluate writing that was utterly reputation-less and imprimatur-less.
Avoiding the “slush pile” and gate-keepers akin to the young, insecure Ms Heller by self-publishing one’s own work is no panacea. When I published “Manhattan Morning” earlier this year, I likened the process to putting a note in a bottle, sealing the cap and tossing the bottle into the sea on an out-going tide. Six months later, I would say that I certainly got that aspect of the process right.

Going through a traditional publisher, if successful, guarantees that a certain readership will at least become aware of what one has written and a review or two may be forthcoming. Not so with self-publishing unless one makes a strenuous, creative, not inexpensive and perhaps shameless marketing effort.
We live in a “distracted, superficial age,” the other “Bookends” commentator, Siddharta Deb observed. In such circumstances, it is easy to go for books written by authors “with carefully constructed reputations that are vetted, marketable and safe – a writer as tailored to the reader’s demographic as a cellphone plan.”

The history of writing is full of stories of authors who persevered through many, many rejection letters before finally getting a work accepted and then going on to considerable success. There are also any number of examples of situations where writers who had one truly good book inside of them, were encouraged or even pressured by publishers to write more because their name was now a saleable commodity, resulting is a string of mediocre if commercially successful, but soon forgotten follow-ups.
At the same time, just because a work has been self-published doesn’t mean it has any merit. In fact, with self-publishing now so inexpensive and relatively easy, one can argue that it is readers, not editorial assistants, who are faced with assessing the slush pile.

Is there, or will there be, an effective way to get decent works of fiction that are in all probability not broad-based “commercial” in today’s market to potentially interested readers?
Hard to know. Perhaps the "Bookends" commentators will tackle that one in due course.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment